8/02/2005

Dance as though no one is watching.

I signed up for belly dancing classes for the exercise. I figured out that doing something new and getting a good workout out of it is already a deal in itself. (Not to mention the fact that my husband gets a break from me outside of work ;0))

So for the past two sessions, that was all I was doing and all I was expecting from it -- exercise and a lil fun.
But tonight was different. Oh, I had my usual work out. In fact, my pectoral muscles are starting to sing a painful aria after all the push-ups we did. And let's not even go to what my abs(upper, lower, side and in between :0P) have been through.

Tonight was different because, tonight, I danced.

You see, the past classes, I was intent on the technicalities, how to move my body in the exact (or nearest to it) way as that of the instructor. I was looking at how the others are doing it and how I compare to them. Counting out the beats and moving with it. I guess that was the difference. For the past sessions, I was just moving, not dancing.

But tonight, after a particularly confusing move (I think it was stepping on one foot while thrusting your pelvis forward and a lil butt sway on the same direction as the foot, all on a half beat, with your arms on the 2nd position), I stopped focusing on the technicalities, on the counting, even stopped watching how others do it.

Tonight, I looked at myself in the mirror, checked if my form was correct, then closed my eyes. I stopped thinking about the directions (you know, right foot, front, right butt etc.), focused on the music and just danced. And you know what? For the first time, I felt like I was really doing something right --I could feel my body moving smoothly and in rhythm.

In that moment, I could understand how this can become a life's passion.

But old habits die hard. Soon, I was back to my old OC self, checkin' others out and letting the technicalities get in the way :0P

Still, I can actually say that for once, I was able to dance as though no one is watching. And it's an experience I tend to repeat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there Lei! It really feels good to dance right?! If you'll ask me, I miss dancing a zillion times! Whatever form it is....

Anyway, I tagged you. You might want to check my blog and continue the "Tag Game".

Take care always! Regards to Mr. A.!