8/23/2005

"I watch Friends."

"You speak really good English."

I get this remark all the time.

Let me correct that, I get this very surprised remark all the time.

Whether at the dentist, the optometrist, or the dermatologist. Once people learn that I've been here for just 5 short months, this observation is bound to come up. I'm getting tired of explaining that in Manila, English is the medium of instruction in almost all subjects, in all levels. And that I basically grew up writing and speaking the language.

The job interview I went to today was no exception.

"You speak really good English."

Said the clinic owner.

"Yes"

Said Mrs.A, launching into the oft-repeated script of the Why I Speak Good English monologue.

I swear, next time, I get this, I'll just tell them that I watch Friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And we should tell them that the correct way of saying it is....

"You speak English well."
Not
"You speak good English."