7/06/2005

4th of July (my first!)



We spent the 4th of July long weekend at home.

Oh, we had ambitious plans at the start of the week... like driving down to Hearst Castle, going to Big Sur or even just to Point Reyes. But practicalities (and laziness :0P) took over so we ended up staying at home and catching up with chores.

I did a week's worth of laundry and Mr. A vacuumed the whole house, even deep-cleaning the carpets. We also watched TV, hang out at Barnes, window-shopped at Target. He even convinced me to play video games.

We played TETRIS and I sucked. We played BUST A MOVE, I still sucked. We went to BUSTA GROOVE... and you guessed it, I sucked big time :0P No surprise since I can count on one hand the number of times I've played video games in my entire life. :0P

Then Mr. A invited me to play MORTAL KOMBAT II. I was ready to give up but I didn't want to be such a sore loser so I gave in. And ended up beating him. Hah!

Don't ask me how I did it coz I don't know! I just kept pushing buttons with no semblance of strategy or technique whatsoever. He kept saying it was pure luck (tsamba kumbaga) but 6 consecutive losses? I DON'T THINK SO! hehe :0D

The weekend may sound boring but times like these are what I really treasure. I still consider it a privilege to be able to do 'normal' couple stuff with him. Maybe it's because we came from a long distance romance. Whatever, I just hope I won't ever lose this gratefulness over just being with him.

***

We went to the city (in our part of the world, that means San Francisco) on the 4th itself to catch the fireworks show.

We left the house at around 4pm, stopped by Jack in the Box for shakes and curly fries to fuel us for the drive and proceeded to the big city :0) Good thing coz even though going into the city itself was relatively fast and easy, getting to Pier 39 (where the show was) was not. I think it took us almost an hour just to get through Embarcadero! Traffic was at a snail's pace and there were soo many people! Parang Ortigas kapag may midnight sale ang Megamall, Galleria at Shangri la!

Parking was easy when we finally got to PIER 39 coz we opted for the (really expensive, as in taga) $25 parking lot near the bay. To keep my kuripot self somewhat satisfied, Mr. A assured me that it will give us front row seats to the show.

Since we still had time to kill, we went around PIER 39, browsing through gift shops and people watching. I got a porcelain heart charm with my name on it and Mr.A bought us beanies. We saw all sorts of people, some looking very much like the tourists they are and others, very much the locals. There were people dressed as if going to the beach and people dressed as if going to the prom, stilettoes and all.

We also had time to catch the CRYSTAL GEYSER show of Big Al(catraz). It was sooo cheesy that it's funny! hehe :0D

For dinner, we got corndogs and a bread bowl of chowder to share. We ate in the car, listened to music and basically just hang out while watching the number of people in the parking lot grow. (Seemed like my hubby was soo right about parking there!)

Five minutes before the show was scheduled to start, we went out of the car (the scene by then was like Star City or Boom na Boom during Christmas time!) and shared in the atmosphere of anticipation.

Finally it started. There were red ones, green ones, white ones, purple ones, yellow ones and blue ones. Some were showers of light while others were explosions. Some seem so high up that I thought the airplanes passing by would get caught in them while others looked so near that I could reach out and touch them. There were times when only one color would fill the sky and times when you'd think that a rainbow just burst out in the seams.

And every one of them was magical.

I felt like a kid seeing fireworks for the first time. In fact, everyone there was a kid that night, ooohh-ing and aaaahhh-ing and clapping hands in delight.

It was over too soon. But the memory of watching such beauty while wrapped in my husband's loving arms would stay with me for a long time.

Good times really. :0)

No comments: