7/20/2005

Undulate.


Undulate v. & adj. *v. have or cause to have a wavy motion or look. *adj. wavy; going alternately up and down or in and out.

This was the goal at the end of my first (75-minute) belly-dancing class last night.

That and making your butt beat like a heart (no kidding!).

Looking at my weak attempts at the end of the class and comparing them with the instructor's sinuous undulations and rhythmically beating behind, I'm sure that I'm as far away from that goal as San Francisco is to Malate :0P But I did come to a few conclusions.

One, that I am pathetically tight (can't even reach my toes while long-sitting!). Two, that I am embarassingly out-of-shape (my feeble attempt at lower ab crunches? 4 reps :0P). And three, that I want to undulate like that even if it kills me or I tear my abdominals, whichever comes first!

I left the class feeling like my whole lower half went through a wringer. But there was also hope in my heart. Hope that with the help of my newly purchased 10-class dance card, my butt could then start beating.

*photo from Suhaila.com

1 comment:

Deepa said...

omg! i was thinking of taking up bellydancing too! well either that or flamenco. you must keep posting about this! :-)

and i can so relate to your strappy shoe fetish. the arrival of the rainy season just woke me up to the painful reality that i have very, VERY few closed shoes.